Tuesday, November 6, 2012

BWJ - Buttermilk Crumb Muffins


It's Melbourne Cup Day here in Melbourne, so Melburnians have a public holiday for a horse race.  Pretty cool, yeah?  I am not going to the races this year, but it is obligatory to watch the Cup on the telly - the big race is at 3pm EST.  Apart from The Cup itself, the fun of the races is watching everyone all dressed up - the best time to do this is first thing in the morning, before everything falls into tatters, like Cinderella after the ball.

This Tuesday is also a Baking with Julia Tuesday, and this week's recipe was Buttermilk Crumb Muffins, hosted by Alisa of Easier Than Pie.  As I am not at work today to share, I only made a quarter recipe of these muffins, yielding just four.  I don't use shortening in general, so I substituted the same quantity of butter, and didn't seem to have any issues.

These muffins were easy to make, and delicious while warm - making them perfect in my book.

You can check what the other BWJ bakers thought of these muffins at the website. 

13 comments:

Cher Rockwell said...

Hope you enjoyed your holiday.
My muffins were less than successful, so I have a lot of muffin envy going on this week...

Jill said...

Lovely! I made half the recipe, and still had a lot of muffins, so you were smart to make 1/4. It sounds like you had a nice day off of work.

Kari said...

I wish we had a public holiday :-) These muffins look lovely, and 4 muffins is a lovely amount to have if you're just backing for yourself or a few people.

Cindy said...

Your muffin is perfect--I had a disaster, but it did taste good. Take a look at my Grand Canyon Cakes!

Johanna GGG said...

lovely to have a day off but it still flies by - your cakes look delish

Scrambled Megs said...

we didn't get a holiday in Sydney! oh well. your muffins looks really lovely. glad to have stopped by x

http://scrambledmegs.com/

Nicole said...

I loved these. So easy, so good.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great holiday. Awesome looking muffins!

Kayte said...

Those look stunning...lovely. I don't use shortening either and also sub butter but I never know if that works straight up or if I need to add more or less or whatever. Pretty much any time I bake it's a crap shoot...so it was fun to hear that you sub that way also...an accomplice in crime! :-)

Not Quite Nigella said...

Sounds like a winner all round-easy and delicious! :D How did you go with your horses?

Elaine said...

Your muffins look perfect. What a fun thing to have a day off for a horse race. We don't even get a day off for a Presidential race.

Cathleen | My Culinary Mission said...

Nice looking muffins! Holiday for horses - crazy! :)

smarkies said...

Those are some great muffins! Did you bet on any horses?