Friday, September 28, 2012

FFwD - Endives, apples and grapes



This week's French Fridays with Dorie recipe is Endives, Apples and Grapes- or in my case, Radicchio, Apples and Grapes, because endives are nowhere to be found in my neck of the woods, and some research showed that radicchio, also known as Italian chicory, would have a similar flavour to endives (also known as Belgian chicory). Eww, and on that count, I think they are right - I found the radicchio unbearably bitter.

The dish looks pretty in the pan:


 
and I liked the apples and grapes, but I could not abide those bitter leaves.  I have three serves left - I suspect I will be dressing this heavily to cover up the bitterness. The radicchio, at $2.50 for a head, was not cheap (sought out at David Jones Foodhall, as Coles could not oblige)  - I am glad that I only bought one.


To see what the other FFwD participants thought of this dish, visit the LYL section of the website.

12 comments:

Cher Rockwell said...

I can't deal with raddichio either - it hasn't endeared itself to me yet. But the red does add a pretty color.

Try this again when you can find endive (I had to search a few stores to find any - it doesn't seem to be common anywhere).

Have a great weekend!

Kayte said...

It does look gorgeous...really appealing in that pan, I just want to reach out and scoop some up. My post is banked for a couple of hours from now so it is Friday here, of course...we really liked this. The pan roasting made the endive not bitter by caramelizing the sugars in it, and it's a lot less bitter than radicchio for sure.

Johanna GGG said...

That photo is stunning at the top! I know what you mean about raddichio - I find it horrible by itself but I have had it in a gnocchi back with caramelised onions and blue cheese where the other flavours balanced well with it - would have thought the fruit would make it more bearable

Rose said...

When I tried this dish right out of the pan, I thought that it was just weird, the apples and grapes were too sweet and the endives were too bitter. But, for me at least, this dish was kind of like some of those wines which must be served with food. With the chicken and polenta this dish was really good and the flavors meshed together perfectly. Maybe try your leftovers with some chicken and see if it helps.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I'm not a big bitter leaves person either. I don't mind endive if it has been cooked with orange or another sweet element but by itself, it can be so bitter.

Anonymous said...

Your red cabbage twist gave your dish an extra pop of color. Fantastic!

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

i love your photo my friend, it is an unusual but delicious looking comb :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Geri Saucier said...

The dish looks lovely. I must admit the grapes were my favorite part of the dish. HAve a nice weekend:)

loavesandstitches said...

I can only take radicchio in small doses, so I give you lots of credit for trying it! The squash version was really good. You might want to try that before you pass on this recipe.

Trevor Sis Boom said...

Red cabbage? Of course! I'm so excited about all the changes Doristas have made to this. I think cabbage would be great with the apples and my beloved her, rosemary. Uh huh!

Betsy said...

Hmmm, as I've been reading other posts, I wondered whether radicchio would work well with this. Might be too bitter from what you report. I did love those grapes though...

Anonymous said...

The radicchio does look pretty impressive!
The endives didn't really have much taste and it was the rest of the ingredients that really made the dish!