Saturday, February 18, 2012

Dried cranberry quinoa salad


This is a short and sweet post to welcome in the weekend.

While idly browsing some food blogs, I came across this recipe for Dried Cherry Quinoa Salad on Where's The Beef? by Cindy and Michael.  I have had some quinoa from FFwD around the house for a while, and thought this would be a perfect way to use some more of it.

My substitutions - I used red quinoa instead of white, I used lentils instead of chickpeas (because I thought my can of lentils was a can of chickpeas!), and use dried cranberries instead of dried cherries.

Verdict  super tasty - and don't skip the dried fruit, as this is what made it for me.  Just when I thought I couldn't stand any more quinoa, along came a dried cranberry to sweeten things up - perfect.

Have a great weekend.

8 comments:

Kayte said...

That looks good and pretty! I have never had red quinoa, maybe this is the time to search that out and give it a go.

yummychunklet said...

The lentils sound like a tasty substitution in this dish! Great short and sweet post!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I've never used red quinoa, only white. I wonder what the difference is?

Jill said...

This sounds good. I've only had quinoa warm, but a cold salad sounds like a great change.

Trevor Sis Boom said...

Nice coincidence since I just bought a ton of quinao at the market today! This sounds just lovely!

Johanna GGG said...

I love lentils in salad - sounds delicious

Cindy said...

Yay, glad you liked it! We remade it recently and funnily enough also used canned lentils instead of chickpeas.

I definitely agree that it's the dried berries that make it, we never skimp on them. :-D

Cakelaw said...

It's a great recipe, thanks Cindy