Tuesday, December 13, 2011

TWD - Puffed Double Plum Tart and Unbelievably Good Chocolate Blueberry Icecream



This week's last Tuesdays with Dorie double-header is Puffed Double Plum Tart and Unbelieveably Good Chocolate Blueberry Icecream.


The Puffed Double Plum Tart was chosen by Julie of Someone's in the Kitchen.  As the name suggests, it contains two types of plums - dried plums (prunes) and fresh plums (or, in my case, canned plums).  The prunes are stepped in a spiced wine mixture, while the fresh plums are painted with the same mixture thickened into a syrup while atop the tart.

The fruit is arranged on a buttery, sugary bed of puff pastry, and the edge of that pastry is brushed with cream or milk and sugar.

The cooled tart is served with the thickened spiced wine:



This is a truly delicious tart, and would be perfect to warm a wintry kitchen.

Our next recipe was chosen by our founder, Laurie, of Slush - she picked Unbelievably Good Chocolate Blueberry Icecream:



Believe the hype - this stuff is crack candy.  I am not a huge fan of icecream, and certainly not chocolate icecream, but I could eat this until I turned into a blueberry like Violet Beauregarde.  This icecream is deeply, richly chocolate in flavour, and is subtly flavoured with blueberry jam.

Thanks to Laurie and Julie for this week's picks.  They will have the recipes on their sites, or buy the book.  To see what the other TWD people thought of these recipes, visit the LYL section of the TWD website for this week.

Next week is a rewind (own pick) week, and our very last TWD recipe ever is Dorie's pick - kid's thumbprints.  The end is tantalisingly near ...

15 comments:

Finla said...

I am in love with the tarts, love the colors too so bright and yumm.

Gloria Baker said...

Look absolutely nice Cake Law!

Lauren Hairston said...

Chocolate Blueberry ice cream?! I never would have thought to put those flavors together. Sounds fascinating.

Anonymous said...

That tart looks so delicious. All it needs is a scoop of ice cream!

cocoa and coconut said...

Sounds like a real hit! The icecream sounds very promising in particular. Love the photo of it!

The Blonde Duck said...

It sounds delish!

natalia said...

Ciao ! Love both your choices and now want to make the ice cream !

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Oh no, I'm sooo hungry now after reading this! :(

Kayte said...

Your tart looks amazing...and the description/view of your ice cream makes me think maybe I should make this for Mark after all...I wasn't too excited about the recipes this week, but after visiting your blog, I might need to rethink these recipes. Who is going to be my inspiration each week if you don't do the Baking with Julia book? Yes, that's supposed to guilt you into changing your mind!! lol

Anonymous said...

The plum tart looks and sounds great - now I'm sorry I didn't make it. I thought the ice cream was delicious though. Glad that you liked it even though you're not a big ice cream fan.

Amanda said...

Oh, god, that tart looks amazing! I can't wait until our plums get ripe.

Cakelaw said...

LOL Kayte - I bought the book, but my waist tells me I need a rest!

Daisy@Nevertoosweet said...

I WANT the tart!!! lol I want it now :) and the ice-cream!!! you're definitely giving me inspiration to use my ice-cream machine more hehe

The Caked Crusader said...

Amazing colours - I love this sort of dessert

Johanna GGG said...

I want that ice cream and I am not an ice cream fan either - did you use an ice cream machine - I suddenly want to make ice cream but not buy a machine for it! yours look so creamy