Tuesday, September 20, 2011

TWD - Salt and pepper cocoa shortbread


This week's Tuesday with Dorie recipe was chosen by Tia of Buttercream Barbie, and is Dorie's Salt and Pepper Cocoa Shortbread.  As the name suggests, these cookies contain salt and pepper for a little zing.

Other than that, they are your basic "icebox" style cookie, made by forming and chilling logs of dough, then cutting off rounds for the cookies.

I thought these tasted fine, but not being a cookie girl, I probably won't make them again.  But hey, that's just me - my colleague, Lee, told me these were "sensational", so you'll just have to try them for yourself.  Visit Tia's site for the recipe, or buy the book.  And you can check out everyone else's point of view at the LYL section of the TWD website.    

12 comments:

Flourchild said...

They look so good! Im hoping to get these done tonight! I can't believer your not a cookie girl! I wish I wasn't so much of one!

Lauren Hairston said...

I'm with Flourchild--I only wish I weren't so much of a cookie girl! I love an icebox cookie, probably because they appeal to the lazy in me. I love not having to clean off a counter!

Judy said...

My favorite thing about these cookies is that I can bake them whenever I want them, 6 at a time in the toaster oven. I did actually like them.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Sounds interesting! Could you taste the salt and pepper in them?

Cakelaw said...

Hi Lorraine, I could taste the salt, but not the pepper.

Joy said...

Your cookies look great! I thought they were fun to try, though I don't see myself making them a lot in the future, either :)

Kayte said...

You aren't a cookie girl? Now that you brought that up, I guess I don't usually see a lot of cookies on your blog and had not realized it until now. These look like fine cookies...I would know as I live in a house where the guys are all cookie lovers...they eat them for breakfast here as they love them so much. Yours look so nice and old fashioned on that plate, like Grandma made them and left them for an after-school snack, very nice.

Nicole said...

I liked these more than expected and I was thrilled I didn't have to roll out dough. I think I would add more pepper if I made these again.

Hindy said...

I completely understand. If the kids didn't demand them, I'd probably never make cookies. But I did enjoy these.
Yours look lovely!

Unknown said...

I am such a cookie girl and your shortbread cookies look very good to me;-)

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Sorry these weren't a major hit. I hate making a recipe with the end result just being "okay." Hope next week's is better for you! :)

Tia said...

i like the shiny finish on yours!