Tuesday, September 27, 2011

TWD - Flip over plum cake


I am very excited that summer is approaching.  The weather is getting warmer - at least during the day, although the nights and early mornings are still chilly.  There are flowers blossoming everywhere, releasing their delicate scent into the air, and providing a pleasant sensory surprise around every bend.

One of the best things about summer is the bounty of fruit that comes into season - watermelon, pawpaw, cherries, bananas, apricots, peaches, raspberries and plums.  This week's Tuesday with Dorie recipe, Flip Over Plum Cake, chosen by Becky of Project Domestication, features very summery plums.  Unfortunately, plums are not yet in season here, but I bought tinned plums and used those.

This cake was not what I was expecting. Perhaps if I had read Dorie's blurb before the recipe, I would have realised it, but this "cake" is actually more like a clafoutis or sponge pudding than a cake.  Dorie calls it a "flip over" cake because you put the fruit on top of the batter, but when the cake has cooked, it ends up on the bottom:  



This cake tasted very pleasant - it has a soft, buttery, spongy top, with the baked, spiced fruit beneath.  I can understand why there is no photo of this in the book - it doesn't look that pretty, and because of its soft, fruity bottom, you can't get a neat slice for a photo.  Accordingly, my photos are realistic rather than arty.

Thanks to our host, Becky, for choosing this recipe - she will have it on her site.  And visit the LYL section of the TWD website for various fruity versions of this dessert.

17 comments:

Kayte said...

I'm not sold on this one...probably doing a rewind or nothing at all this week as I just can't think Mark is going to eat this (he's not fond of fruit in cakes). Almost summer there you say? They are closing my pool for the season next week. How about this: I will enjoy fall here, put up with winter during the Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays, and then plan on visiting you until it gets to be summer here again? Okay? Deal? Please say yes. :-) Your dessert looks very nice and if I didn't have to eat it all myself, I would probably make a small one just from the looks of yours alone.

Flourchild said...

I loved this cake! It looks good!

Anonymous said...

Luckily, plums are coming into season right now. Great post!

Anonymous said...

Since I had to go for non-fresh stone fruit like you I went cherries.
It turned out to be one of my fav twd recipes thusfar.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

It still looks great although I know what you mean about not being photographed in the book because it's not so much about the look rather the taste.

Cakelaw said...

LOL Kayte - you're on! I don't much like winter myself.

Cristine said...

Looks yummy!

Tia said...

clean slice or not, yours looks great.

Nicole said...

Yes, mine wasn't that photogenic either but it sure tastes good! Mine didn't even last a day.

Cindy said...

Enjoy your spring! Nothing better than the beautiful flowers and bushes in Australia! My daughter spent 18 months in Australia on a mission for our church. She was based out of Sidney but spent much of the time in small costal towns such as Ulladulla. She love it!
And I loved this yummy plum cake!
Have a great week.

Chaya said...

I love the fruit peeking out. This is a good cake.

Hindy said...

This is the tip I'd been hoping for - that I can make this all winter with canned fruit. My family can't get enough of this cake.
Happy Spring - It's my favourite season!

Unknown said...

Very jealous that you're entering summer now, I need a trip to Australia when the cold, snowy weather hits here :) I enjoyed this one too!

Katrina said...

Definitely not the prettiest cake, but we liked it. I'm kind of sad to say goodbye to summer here--enjoy!

Nichicakes said...

What's a paw paw? I agree very hard to get a great pic of this one.

Cakelaw said...

Hi Nichi, pawpaw is a papaya.

Jules Someone said...

Certainly not the prettiest dessert out there. But it is delicious!