Monday, September 26, 2011

Chocolate and apple cake - gluten free, dairy free


On the weekend, I went to stay an Angelsea, on the Great Ocean Road, with a group of friends.  We rent a big house which comes equipped with a TV, DVD player and a tennis court, bring lots of food and beverages, and spend the weekend just enjoying it all.

One of my friends is gluten and dairy intolerant, so when Dressed and Eaten reposted a recipe originally from Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella for a gluten free (and incidentally, dairy free) chocolate and apple cake, I knew this was the dessert for me to make for the weekend.




My only tip for this easy to make cake is to line the bottom of your pan with baking paper.  I used a pan where some of the non-stick covering had come off, and despite my oiling it liberally with cooking spray, my cake still stuck to the bottom, resulting in another session of "cake makeup" - that is, chocolate icing to cover the flaws.

The resulting cake is moist (presumably from the grated apples) and has an interesting texture from the almond meal.  The boys seemed to enjoy it, and that is the proof of the pudding for me.  Accordingly, next time you are looking for a gluten free, dairy free cake, this one is definitely worth a go. 

12 comments:

Hotly Spiced said...

Thanks for sharing a gluten and dairy free dessert recipe. I have a son who is now gluten and dairy free and so I love to collect delicious, treat-like recipes I can make for him.

Amanda said...

I'm not sure I've ever seen any cake at all that boys don't like, but this one certainly looks good.

Gloria Baker said...

What nice idea Cake Law, thanks by sharing! gloria

Sunshine - www.cancersurvivor26.blogger.com said...

great post! thanks for sharing.

www.cancerinthecity.com

Flourchild said...

The grated apples sound different and good! How fun that you got to take a trip with friends!

cocoa and coconut said...

Sounsd delicious, and I love this healthy twist. Moist cakes are always the best :)

Anonymous said...

I would've never paired chocolate for an apple cake. Great idea!

The Caked Crusader said...

Ahhhh - everyone is tormenting me with apple cakes this weekend. Apple cakes rock! Not seen one combined with chocolate before - yum!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

So glad that you liked it! It's great that GF eaters don't have to miss out on cakes with flavour.

Unknown said...

I've got loads of apples on my tree at the moment, so any kind of apple recipe is greatly appreciated :D. Apples and chocolate sound like a great combo!
*kisses* HH

The Blonde Duck said...

Once again, this makes me ponder why everyone is allergic to gluten now...

Johanna GGG said...

love this cake - must try it - apples in chocolate cake is such a great pairing