Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Elinor Klivans' Spiderweb Pumpkin Ginger Cupcakes


An age ago, for The Biggest Morning Tea to raise money for cancer research, I made Elinor Klivan's Spiderweb Pumpkin Ginger Cupcakes.  You can find the recipe here. The cupcakes contain canned (or in my case, mashed) pumpkin, ground ginger and crystallised ginger, and are frosted with cream cheese frosting.  The spider webs are piped on using frosting that has been mixed with cinnamon for colour and flavour.

Here are the unfrosted cupcakes with their promising orange colour:


Unfortunately, I found these cupcakes tasted a little "meh" - they were OK, but did not live up to the tantalising promise of pumpkin and ginger that I had hoped.  They were definitely outshone by the chocolate cake balls, both for me and the punters at work.

Maybe you have had a better experience with these cupcakes - if so, I would love to know.

9 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm often tempted with pumpkin cake/pie recipes, but never follow through as I'm generally to lazy to get around to cook & mash pumpkin before baking. Seems a shame that these are a little bland - I'd have thought the ginger would beef them up a bit.

Lauren Hairston said...

We actually have some pumpkin plants this year and I'm hoping we'll actually get some fruit out of them (fingers crossed!). I've found, though, that pumpkins need a lot of flavoring to taste like much of anything. I looked at the recipe, and it could probably use a higher amount of spice!

Anonymous said...

Hmm, even though these didn't taste spectacular, they look really neat!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Oh no what a shame, they looked good if that counts! :D

Finla said...

Wowo beautiful and perfect spiderwebs.

The Blonde Duck said...

Those would be perfect for halloween!

Johanna GGG said...

the recipe does sound promising and I love the orange glow of the uniced cupcakes - shame they weren't as good as you expected - though I expect your standards are high and that you have raised the expectations of your colleagues

adele said...

I'm sorry to hear they weren't very flavorful - they really do look fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Pumpkin and cream cheese is such a good combination - too bad these weren't your favorite.