Thursday, June 30, 2011

Dan Lepard's Orange Cream Cupcakes




A couple of week's ago, Dan Lepard published a delicious sounding recipe for Orange Custard Cream Cupcakes in The Guardian.  These beautiful cupcakes were made with cream in the batter instead of milk, and were filled with an orange custard.

To make some concessions to my waistline, I left out the orange custard, which was based entirely on cream, but I made the cupcakes using the cream, and was pleasantly surprised:



The icing, made with orange juice and zest, provides a lovely fresh flavour to the cupcakes, so don't skip it.  

These cupcakes are tangy, moist and soft, at least partially due to the cream.  The cupcakes went in a flash at work - the proof of the pudding is in the eating, I say!



9 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Oh are these like the cupcake versions of the biscuit? :)

Lauren Hairston said...

I love Dan Lepard's column. I haven't tried this recipe yet, but it sounds delish!

Anonymous said...

Love the look of the orange glaze on top. They look delicious!

Cakelaw said...

Hi Lorraine, the cream is just whipping cream.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

These look great! I love the orange and the cream. Is it sad that I want to eat one of these for breakfast? :)

Unknown said...

I subscribe to Dan Lepard's recipes from the Guardian, they are fabulous. I've got this one bookmarked. I'm glad to hear they worked so well. I'd probably omit the filling too.
*kisses* HH

Anonymous said...

Wow, they look really tender. I like your sensible version without the filling!

Gloria Baker said...

I love these cupcakes too! gloria

Jennifer said...

These look absolutely mouthwatering!!!!