Friday, February 4, 2011

FFwD - Basque Potato Tortilla



This week's French Friday with Dorie recipe is a Basque Potato Tortilla. Now this confused me a little, as to me, a tortilla is a flat bread filled with spicy mince from a Mexican restaurant. However, this type of tortilla is really a large, thick potato omelette.

The tortilla is quite simple to make, and contains shallow fried potato and onions, rosemary, garlic, eggs and salt and pepper. I also added some diced bacon pieces to make it a more complete meal.




I used dried rosemary and kept it in (as opposed to fresh which is later discarded, as Dorie suggested), which I think added depth of flavour to the tortilla.

You can see in cross section how thick the tortilla is, even though I halved the recipe and could not find an especially small pan:


As Laurie has suggested on the FFwD website, I think this tortilla would be perfect for a weekend brekky. It was surprisingly good, even though I was not initially enthused about making it.

To check out some more tortillas, visit the LYL link at the FFwD website.

16 comments:

muppy said...

I really like tortillas, I find them quick, filling and you can add whatever you have around :)

Finla said...

Triple super delicious.

The Blonde Duck said...

I've always wanted to make a spanish style tortilla.

Emily said...

This sound like a warm and comforting meal to me! It's freezing here. :)

Kayte said...

I have not been enthusiastically thrilled about making this one either, as a matter of fact, I was sort of talking myself out of it...however, if bacon can be an ingredient, suddenly my interest has risen considerably. Hmmm...looks pretty good in yours!

Flourchild said...

I liked it too..Bacon is a great addition!

Not Quite Nigella said...

That looks great! I remember reading that Dorie spent some time in the Basque region :)

Anonymous said...

I love potatoes and rosemary, so I think I'd like this one. Bacon wouldn't hurt either - great idea to add it!

Anonymous said...

Tortilla with bacon in it!! I am sold.

Anonymous said...

Adding bacon pieces sounds like such a good idea! I'm not sure why I didn't eat/incorporate meat with this. Oh, well. Next time! Great post!

Cher Rockwell said...

Yes, I kept looking for the corn flat bread to wrap it all up in! (I guess then, it would have been a miga???) Bacon...hmmmm.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

This looks great! I would totally eat a few slices of this :)

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

The more posts I see the more I want to make this. I wasn't enthused but now I think my fam would like it. :) Your looks tasty!

Denise said...

As they say, bacon makes everything taste good! I agree, a bit bland without adding some extras, but it went well with my jazzed up salad on the side.

Ivy said...

I think here tortilla means just omelette similar to the Italian frittata. We make a similar one and just call it Patates me avga, which I love so I know this would be something I would like.

Elaine said...

I was so confused at the name of this one as well. I didn't make mine with the potatoes, but I would like to make it again and add the potatoes and ham or bacon. Yours has such a pretty yellow color!