Tuesday, April 20, 2010

TWD - Sweet Cream Biscuits


This week's Tuesday with Dorie is hosted by Melissa of Love At First Bite, who chose Dorie's Sweet Cream Biscuits. When I first read this, I was thinking of Arnotts Assorted Creams (which one's your favourite? Mine is Monte Carlo). However, these are actually Southern US style biscuits, which are very closely related to our scones, and apparently are very popular eaten with savoury dishes.


These biscuits were very easy to make - no mixer, no eggs, no butter. They simply consist of dry ingredients bound together with cream, pressed into a dough and cut into rounds before baking until golden. I had one warm with butter melting into it - delish!



I have been very grateful for the simple recipes that we have had the past couple of weeks, as things have been very, very crazy for me in the background for the past few weeks. Things are going to get worse before they get better, so bear with me if I tend to disappear for a while.



To check out what the other TWD bakers thought of these biscuits, check out the
TWD blogroll. If you fancy making them yourself, check out the recipe in Dorie's book, or at Melissa's site.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Monte Carlos are my fav too! Good luck and take it easy, Cakelaw.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Ahh yes I like Kingstons and Monte Carlos. I remember making Monte Carlos when I was young and giving them to our neighbours! They were very...rustic looking! :)

Mary said...

I was glad these were easy too! I had them mixed, baked, photographed and eaten within 30 minutes.

Anonymous said...

Your biscuits look great! I think they're good with savory or sweet - I had one for breakfast with jam.

I hope life isn't too crazy for too long for you. Hang in there!

Kayte said...

They look good, very cute in their little nest there. I haven't made them yet, but then Tuesday is not over, so who knows what can happen. Your rating of their taste certainly inspires, too!

Johanna GGG said...

good luck with baking among crazy background life - I have had the same surprise at biscuits being like our scones - they all taste good though - and my favourite is kingston - love the chocolate centre

Leslie said...

I'm with you...easy recipes are appreciated more than ever these days. Your biscuits look wonderful!

Jennifer said...

Your biscuits are lovely! these were really good!

Take it easy-and don't stay gone too long!

natalia said...

Ciao ! I don't know of your flavoured cream but your biscuits are great !!

TLC said...

I'm a huge monte carlos girl too! yummmmm

those biscuits sound like they could be yummy with a roast dinner

Ivy said...

These scones looks perfect and delicious.

Baking Addict said...

yummy! sometimes simple is best :)

Flourchild said...

Im glad you were able to bake with us! It's so nice to have a simple recipe now and again! Take care and don't work to hard!

Hindy said...

Your biscuits look delicious!

Brenda said...

Easy did you say? My kind of recipe!
Hope all is well....don't stay away for too long : )

Cakelaw said...

Thanks to all for your kind comments - I appreciate it very much.

Conor @ HoldtheBeef said...

Monte Carlos are great, but they don't beat a Kingston in my opinion. Everything, on the other hand, beats an Orange Cream.

You should approach Arnott's about replacing the orange cream with these biscuits.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Easy simple recipes are my favorite too:)

The Blonde Duck said...

I hope things get easier for you!

Anonymous said...

I love new methods for baking. All dry ingredients mixed together with cream sounds great! I get sick of the old creamed butter and sugar, add eggs and flour! These do look great - and served warm with melted butter!! HUMPH...

TeaLady said...

Good lucking biscuits. Love scones. There is a little difference, but not much.

Hang in with whatever is driving you crazy!!

The Blonde Duck said...

I hope this weekend was nice and relaxing for you!

Cakelaw said...

Thanks again to all for your kind words of support.