Friday, April 9, 2010

Orange and Blueberry Layer Cake



We had a spate of birthdays over Easter at work, so I was busy cake baking. Fiona and Mel were first up, and I made them an orange and blueberry layer cake.

The recipe is modified from the Marbled Lemon Blueberry Layer Cake in Sky High - Irresistable Triple-Layer Cakes by Alisa Huntsman and Peter Wynne. You can find the original recipe here. I have made the lemon version - you can see it here.

Changes which I made to the recipe were:

  • using marmalade instead of blueberry jam for marbling and to sandwich the layers - unfortunately, you can't see the marbling at all because the jam is orange coloured, but it tasted delicious;
  • using oranges instead of lemons in the batter;
  • adding whole blueberries to the batter instead of blueberry jam; and
  • icing the cake with orange glace icing instead of buttercream.

The top of the cake is decorated with gorgeous birds eggs (pastel candy coated chocolate eggs) and fudge writing.

The cake disappeared, so I assume it was a hit!

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

Lemon and blueberries-I'm certain there is no better combination! What lucky co workers to have you as the baker!!!!

Mary said...

Orange and blueberry sounds like a fantastic combination--no wonder it disappeared! Those eggs are gorgeous--they look marbled.

CurlyPops said...

I want to come and work in your office - my birthday is very soon...hee hee

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

That looks so lovely and moist! Love the surprise inside of blueberries! :D

Baking Addict said...

I'm not surprised it disappeared. It looks fantastic.

The Blonde Duck said...

Love the little bird eggs!

Y said...

The bird egg decoration is so cute and I absolutely love blueberries with citrus.

Ivy said...

Wow, my favourite ingredients. Please send over a piece of this lovely cake. Please come and collect an Award from my blog. Have a wonderful weekend.

Anonymous said...

It looks great and sounds delicious. You are so nice to bake for your coworkers!

Brenda said...

Three sponge layers?? Cool!
Are you the nominated cake baker at work for birthdays? You should start getting paid hahahaah!

The Caked Crusader said...

Beautiful - and I love those HUGE eggs on top! The icing is soooo smooth and a beautiful colour