Saturday, April 10, 2010

Fichi Biondi - Baked Figs with Gorgonzola Sauce


A couple of weekends ago, I walked to Graceville to see A Single Man (starring Colin Firth) at the Regal Cinema. It is a beautifully shot film, with an ironic ending. It is set in the 1960s, and has wonderfully stylised period sets. Julianne Moore was wonderful as the ditzy friend with an empty life.


On the way home, I dropped into the fruit shop at Graceville near the cinema, and was pleasantly surprised. As well as a range of fruit and vegetables which is far superior to the supermarket offerings, the shop stocked deli items which I previously believed could only be found in New Farm or the Valley.

It was too tempting to pass up, so I bought some figs and gorgonzola, and picked up proscuitto and cream at the supermarket to make fichi biondi - that is, baked "blonde" figs with gorgonzola sauce. I had spied this recipe in the May 2008 edition of Delicious magazine when I was searching for Italian dinner party recipes, and had wanted to make it ever since.




I wasn't disappointed - the baked figs were luscious, a little bit sweet and a little bit salty, and they melted in the mouth.


To make fichi biondi, you will need:

12 thin slices of proscuitto
12 fresh figs, stalks removed
10g butter (I left this out)
200ml pouring cream
100g gorgonzola dolce, roughly chopped


Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.

Wrap a slice of prosciutto around the middle of each fig, and secure with a toothpick:




Put the butter, cream and gorgonzola into a small saucepan, and melt over low heat, stirring until smooth.


Put the figs into a baking dish, pour over the sauce and cover loosely with foil. Bake the figs for 7 minutes, then remove the foil and bake them for a further minute until the prosciutto begins to crisp.




To serve, put 2 figs on a plate and spoon over some of the sauce. Delicious!!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can almost taste these they look so delicious, and how easy is that sauce? Definitely worth a try, thanks.

Conor @ HoldtheBeef said...

Figs and blue cheese! Yay!!! With prosciutto too? Double yay!!!

Gloria Baker said...

Kitchen law I love figs and these look awesome!! thanks by sharing, gloria

Anonymous said...

This sounds lovely!

Emily said...

Are you kidding me?! This sounds amazing! I love blue cheese, prosciutto and figs together.

TLC said...

yummmm sounds divine - figs, cheese and deliciousness!

74 Lime Lane said...

oooh, a lovely combo. Always curious about figs, never sure if you are supposed to eat the whole thing or peel them, which has meant I usually shy away from them.

Anonymous said...

I adore fruit + meat combinations. It's always a marriage meant to last. And I'm a sucker for anything with figs!

Brenda said...

That looks so easy to make. Would you believe I've never had figs or even gorgonzola before? Might be time to give it a try!

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella said...

I love this dish! I used the Buon Ricordo recipe in their new cookbook which sounds very similar and it was so good! :D

Ivy said...

Wow, love the combination of the sweet figs with the savory gorgonzola and prosciuto.

adele said...

Mmm. You can't go wrong with figs and prosciutto. :)

Unknown said...

I bet these taste divine. I've cooked figs once, but mine didn't come out the way they do on TV LOL.
*kisses* HH

Trissa said...

I love the idea of figs and cheese... such a sophisticated combination.

sewa mobil murah said...

wow great post
Keep posting stuff like this i really like it.

Chef Jules said...

Very nice cakelaw, I love it, you really excelled yourself this time!
Ciao Chef Jules