Tuesday, February 17, 2009

TWD - I love this little devil! Devil's Food White Out Cake


As much as I felt stranded on last week's Islands, I adored this week's recipe. It was chosen by Stephanie of Confessions of a City Eater, and was Dorie's famous Devils' Food White-Out Cake. It is famous because it is the glamourous "cover girl" of Baking - From My Home to Yours, and because, somewhat surprisingly, no-one had previously chosen it in the 12 months plus of Tuesdays with Dorie.

This cake exceeded my wildest expectations - I am so glad that I made it for a colleague's birthday, otherwise I may have demolished it all by myself. I also had the best time making it - despite some initial apprehension at once again making a "cooked" frosting, it came up trumps.

The Devil's Food component of the cake consisted of 4 layers of the fudgiest, most chocolatey cake known to mankind:



three of which are then sandwiched together with generous lashings of fluffy marshmallow frosting:


before the cake is smothered in the remaining frosting:


and then - OMG - the fourth cake layer is deliberately crumbled (which initially went against every bone in my body), and used to coat the outside of the cake.

I tasted the scraps of crumbled cake and leftover frosting - and had to promptly put the remainder in the garbage, because they were so good that I was going to single-handedly eat my way into the next series of The Biggest Loser by hoovering them up. I wish I was exaggerating, but I am not - this stuff was crack cake for my soul. It was also fun to make, because it was like being a kid again, plootching in the frosting and cake crumbs to decorate the cake. I actually laughed while I was doing it, it was so much fun.

Here is my rather unglamorous looking slice to give you the "inside" picture (you gotta make allowances for the fact that at work, nothing can be served in a pretty manner):


You can find the recipe in Dorie's book, or on Stephanie's site. You may also want to slaver madly by looking at everyone else's version of this cake at the TWD blogroll.

26 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

Looks good! :)

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I'll bet your co-workers think you walk on water after tasting this scrumptious cake. I had issues with mine (sigh) but it tastes amazing, and looks pretty spiffy too. And I'm plotting to get rid of the rest before I hoover it!
Nancy

The Blonde Duck said...

LOL! I've done the same thing before. I have to throw certain treats in the trash or else I'll be one of the 400lb. people being extracted from a building with the jaws of life. Great cake!

Anonymous said...

Ooh I'm speechless, chocolate fudge cake with marshmallow frosting. That sounds too good to be true! :O What a lucky guy Andrew is! :)

I know what you mean about being glad that it's made for sharing. It's a good plan just in case!

Tammy said...

I loved this cake as well. I used whipped cream instead of the frosting, so will have to try the frosting next time, as there will definitely be a next time!!

Engineer Baker said...

Pretty is overrated, that looks like an absolutely, beautifully, tasty cake. I had to get over crumbling that fourth layer - deliberate massacre of cake?!? The leftovers were definitely dangerous.

Sara said...

I LOVE this cake, glad you liked it too!

Ivy said...

Your colleagues are so lucky to have you. You've made another scrumptious cake for them.

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Jenn - this one is good!

Hi Nancy, I received lots of parise for this one. I loved it too.

Hi Lorraine, that's right - too much cake means too much Cakelaw.

Hi Tammy, the frosting is good - very good.

Hi Caitlin, I know, wasn't it weird to deliberately break up cake? But it did provide scraps, te he.

Hi Sara, glad you loved it too.

Thanks Ivy :)

Finla said...

I love this cake and it looks so yummy delicious.

Donna-FFW said...

This looks so very awesome. I will have to try it after reading all the rave reviews!!

natalia said...

Ciao !I wish I was working with you !! We loved this cake very much too !

Leslie said...

I wanted to make mine for a birthday but the timing was off so I just made cupcakes. Yours looks amazing! Wasn't this insanely delicious? It's definitely one that needs to get out of the house immediately.

Amanda said...

Looks good to me! We loved this cake, glad it was picked for this week!

Chef Jeena said...

Everytime I look at your blog you have baked a cake for a friend or work mate... I sure would like to live near you when my birthday comes around. :-D

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your cake looks amazing! Great job!

chocolatechic said...

Your cake looks fabulous.

Maria said...

The perfect birthday cake!! Nice work!

Rico said...

You got the name wrong...My name is Ricardo, I said RICARDO. As hat cake is so nice it should have been made for me not Andrew, anyway just popped in to tell you how much I enjoyed viewing this cake and it's recipe, well done thx for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

Hahah crack cake for the soul! I LOVE that! The cake was really fantastic!

Pamela said...

Yep...that's why I had to get rid of the rest of ours, too. No one else was going to eat it. And if I were left alone with the cake, it would've been over! Great job.

Liliana said...

Love your cake! The cake was gone in one day at our house (guess who ate most of it)?

Thanks for stopping by!

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

I LOVE it! No-nonsense, full-on, full-fat indulgence. Bring it on!

Anonymous said...

Your cake looks delicious! What a great treat for a birthday. YUM.

Unknown said...

Looks creamy and delicious, Gaye. Lucky friend you have got there hehehe

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Happy Cook :)

Do try it Donna - it's terrific!

Hi Natalia, it was a great cake, yeah?

Cupcakes sounds like a good idea Leslie - temtpation in smaller portions ...

Hi Amanda, I was at first worried about whether I could pull this cake off, but I'd definitely make it again - it's a keeper.

Hi Jeena, come on over!

Thanks Kimberley :)

Thanks Tanya :)

Hi Maria, thanks!

Sorry Ricardo, a slip of the piping tube there ;)

Hi Teanna, agreed, it was fantastic.


Hi Pamela, I could not be left alone with this for too long - and did I mention the leftover icing and crumbs ...

Hi Liliana, I am not surprised - this recipe is fab.

I'm with you Ghetti - no holds barred.

Thanks Pinkstripes :)

Hi Arfi, this one is a goodie.