Saturday, February 21, 2009

Asian Influence - Pad Thai



When I eat out, one of my favourite types of cuisine is Thai. I love the curries, the stir fries, the noodles and the combinations of crisp and spicy flavours. One of my favourite dishes is Pad Thai. Despite this, I had never attempted to make Pad Thai at home - until now.

I came across a recipe for Pad Thai in Janelle Bloom's Fast Fresh and Fabulous, and decided to give it a go for myself. And I am glad that I did - it is so good. It has the light Asian flavours combined with just the right amount of nuttiness.


To make your own Pad Thai, you will need:


250g dried rice stick noodles
1/4 cup fish sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
juice of 1 lemon
150g diced firm tofu
2 tablespoons cornflour
2 tablespoons cooking oil
2 thinly sliced chicken breast fillets
3 sliced green onions
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 small chopped red chillis
2 lightly beaten eggs
1/2 cup chopped raosted peanuts
125g bean sprouts


In a bowl, cover the noodles with warm water and set aside for 5 minutes or until softened. Drain and set aside.


Put the fish sauce, sugar and 1/4 cup lemon juice in a small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.


Coat the tofu with the cornflour. Heat a wok, and once hot, add 2 teaspoons of the cooking oil and the tofu, and stur fry until the tofu turns golden brown. Remove the tofu from the wok and set aside.


Reheat the wok, and add one tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is hot, addthe chicken and stir fry until golden brown. Remove the chicken from the wok.


Put the remainder of the cooking oil in the wok with the green onions, garlic and chillies and stir fry for one minute. Push the vegetables to one side of the wok, and pour the eggs into the cleared space and cook them until slightly set, before using a spoon to scramble them.


Add the softened noodles, sauce mixture, chicken and tofu to the wok, and stir fry for 2 minutes or until heated through.



Serve and enjoy!



8 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

I've never had Thai food. Looks good!

Susan @ SGCC said...

Pad Thai is one of my faves too. Looks great!

Sara said...

This looks so good! I love pad thai, it's my favorite thing to order when I eat at thai restaurants.

Cakelaw said...

Hi Duckie, this might be a lovely subtle dish for you to make your acquaintance with Thai food.

Thanks Susan - and even better, it's easy to make.

Hi Sara, mine too, so it's good to know I can make it if I want to.

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious Cakelaw! I've never tried making Pad Thai myself but it looks nice and simple! :)

Cakelaw said...

Hi Lorraine, It surpised me how simple it was - it looks like a lot of ingredients, but it is not much bother to throw them together.

Morven said...

Yum! Pad Thai is always my benchmark dish when trying out a new Thai place for the first time.

Cakelaw said...

Hi Morven, yes, it's a great dish.