Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Raspberry Coconut Cake


Raspberry Coconut cake I
Originally uploaded by Cakelaw
Oh no! Two of my work buddies, Sam and Charet, are leaving work for greener pastures (and in Sam's case, distant shores!) on Friday. I have had many fun girly lunches with both of them, and will miss their friendship and support very much. The only thing that comforts me at present is that I go on leave on Friday for two weeks, so the impact will be somewhat delayed.

I have made Sam and Charet a raspberry coconut cake. I made it early because I am going out to a function on Thursday night and will not be baking anything then! This cake is made from the Froufrou Cupcakes recipe on page 36 of the delightful Australian Womens Weekly Cupcakes. As its name suggests, the base cake contains raspberries and coconut, and it is frosted with a cream cheese frosting. I decorated the sides of the cake with toasted coconut (as was suggested for the cupcakes), and on the top, I placed a chocolate piped message and a seagull (because Sam is going abroad and Charet is going on an overseas holiday).

The only real difficulties with this cake were that because I made it as one big cake instead of cupcakes, the baking time was trial and error (it took roughly an hour to bake in my oven), and the raspberries made the cake inclined to stick to the pan and fragile. However, good pan preparation by greasing and lining, and leaving the cake to cool for about 15 minutes in the pan before turning out, alleviated these two difficulties.

As always, I can't taste test the cake before it goes public. I will provide an update on the taste in due course.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So where's the recipe? Would love to make this cake.

Cakelaw said...

Hi Anonymous, the Caked Crusader has come to your rescue and subsequently made this cake as the minis that it was originally intended to be. She posted the recipe at http://thecakedcrusader.blogspot.com/2008/06/coconut-and-raspberry-frou-frou.html