Thursday, September 27, 2007

Chicken curry


As I have previously noted, I like my food to have a bit of zing. For this reason, I am a huge fan of curries. Unfortunately, too many curry recipes are high in fat, as they are full of cream, coconut milk and other things that are very waistline unfriendly.

I am yet to find a low fat curry that is as good as the full fat versions I have tried at various Asian restaurants and takeaways. However, I have tried a few low fat recipes which are pleasant enough. Tonight, I made one of these recipes for chicken curry. You can see from the photo that this is not a traditional curry, but I was keen to bump up the vege content of the dish by including a packet of frozen vegetables in the ingredients.

The recipe is as follows:

600g chicken breast fillets, diced
450g can pineapple pieces in juice
2 tablespoons cornflour
1 sliced onion
1 thumb sized knob of fresh ginger, grated
2 tablespoons curry powder
500g mixed frozen vegetables
1 cup low fat natural yoghurt

Drain the pineapple pieces, reserving 1/2 cup of juice. Combine the reserved juice with the cornflour to form a smooth paste as set aside.

Brown the chicken in a frypan or wok and put aside. Cook the ginger and onion in the frypan until the onion becomes transparent, then add the curry powder and combine. Add the frozen vegetables and cook until vegetables become soft. Reintroduce the chicken to the pan with the vegetables, and stir in the pineapple pieces and cornflour mixture. Simmer until the curry starts to thicken, then stir through the yoghurt until just heated through. Serve with rice. (Serves 4-6)

No comments: